Monday, April 27, 2015

Room 10 visit the Army Museum

In Term 2 we are learning about World War 1 - this is our focus in Social Studies, Writing and Reading, in particular the events at Gallipoli and why they are so important to us as New Zealanders.
To help get a better understanding of these events Room 10 went to the NZ Army Museum and learnt about wars New Zealand has fought in, took part in a Remembrance ceremony, cooked rations and found out a little about WW1 firearms.
Thanks to Mark the Education Officer, we had a great day...




I enjoyed Mr Goodman playing the bugle The Last Post because it made me to try and think about what actually happened in world war 1,but it was so hard trying to think about what the soldiers went through. It was my first time hearing someone play the bugle. I was very emotional. My favourite part of the museum was the room of medals it was so amazing seeing all the different soldiers’ medals and how brave they were to fight for their country. I learnt that the Victoria Cross is a medal for someone that did something extremely brave.
It was my favourite museum experience that I’ve ever had.         Hoana-Rose

I enjoyed looking at all the firearms because they were the real ones they used in World War 1.
I learnt to never volunteer in the army because you never know what's coming your way and that all the display figures feature the staff that worked there.
Riley

I enjoyed going around the museum, it was cool to go and look at what kind of guns and stuff they used in World War 1. I liked cooking the modern day rations but not eating them.
I learnt that the guns were much heavier than I thought, and that the people who fought did not have a nice lunch. They had over 18000 poppies. I learnt that there were only 3 people that were awarded the Victoria Cross twice.              Jackson

I enjoyed cooking the Rations because it was a really fun experience for me.
I learn that over 18,000 New Zealanders died in World War 1 and each of them
received a dead man's penny.         Elijah

I enjoyed listening to the facts and stories about the war and the soldiers medals because it was very interesting and cool, especially about how this one soldier got his medals. I also learnt how many horses went to war and how many came back - only one.     Taliyah

I enjoyed cooking real war food and holding a pistol.
I learnt that if  you stand on the right of someone when they are reloading you will get burnt.   Lucas

Last Friday on the 24th of April 2015, Room 10 went down to Waiouru to the Army Museum. I enjoyed how we had cook our own rations park the food that I mostly liked was the hot chocolate and the bar of chocolate in the rations. I learnt that you should never steal your friend’s food I also I enjoyed Mr Goodman playing the bugle I almost cried. I saw that up on a wall there was 18000+ knitted poppies.
Zarah

I enjoyed cooking the Rations pack because it was fun and seeing what they had to cook and eat in a certain time before they started shooting again.
I learnt that you had to gobble the food down your neck in time. and that New Zealand ladies made 1800+ poppies and they did it in just a few months
Abi

I enjoyed going on the tour and experiencing medals and real guns, I also enjoyed cooking rations because it was fun (but not spilling everything on the ground.)   Jackira

I learnt that the soldiers were always 1 foot away from their gun when they were having a rest. I enjoyed holding a rifle like the soldiers were fighting with in war.  Starden

I found out that in the Army museum they wanted knitted poppies to show how many people died in the world war, they thought that it would take about 4 years for the woman to knit about 18,000 but it actually took a month or two     Saige

I enjoyed cooking modern day rations. They are much tastier than I thought they would be - well only the chocolate and junk food. I learnt that only one horse came back from the war and there was 1800+ horses went to war.
Faith.

I found how the museum decided to get 18000+ poppies knitted to remember  about all the soldier that has been wound or died interesting. I learnt that I wound die of starvation because i spent so long trying to get the fire started everyone had already started to eat the their food that they had cooked.
Emma

I enjoyed Mr Goodman playing the Last Post on his bugle because he played it beautifully. It also sounded sad at the same time.
Tamatoa

I enjoyed cooking the Rations because it was fun and because the food was delicious.
I was learnt that most of the guns that Ian showed us went in WW1 and in WW2.
I also learnt that ladies all over NZ knitted over 18,000 poppies, they thought that it would take 4 years but it only took a couple of months.
Ashlyn

I enjoyed looking at the guns because they showed me what the soldiers
used in the war.         
In the war the horses worked hard.  They didn’t come home.
Trent

I learnt that I wouldn’t survive long at Gallipoli because i couldn't light the fire quick enough. There was chicken casserole in the ration pack - it was alright.
There are about 18,000 knitted poppies in one place in the museum, it's amazing.
Hunter

We went to the Army museum and Elijah had to read Ode   then Maddi planted a flax cross with a poppy on it then Mr Goodman play the last post. I found out at if you go to war and you die your Mum and Dad get a dead  man’s penny and your girlfriend or boyfriend get one too .Kiana






No comments:

Post a Comment