Monday, April 13, 2015

Memoir Writing

We finished Term 1 with some Memoir writing  A memoir is creative non fiction and is about a  memory; a description of an event from the past. Memoirs are:

  •  Written in the first person; told from one persons point of view
  •  Based on the truth
  •  Reveals the feelings of the writer
  •  Focused on one event; about one point in the authors life

Some great memoirs have been written - here are two good ones and some excerpts showing some great language from others:

The Back of Gisborne

Retardis roaring, crates rattling and my video camera is rolling. As we sweep down the first corner it seems like we just nicked a little road out of this vast landscape. ‘Look at those woolly ewes, ’I say. As we roll pass the ewes Dads dog starts barking.
The RT start’s crackling, “Here we go, ’I say rolling my eyes.  Dad and one of the boys are talking like normal, yapping on about the history of this magnificent gorge and the station. Look at the width of that river! It has to be at least 300m across. Just now there’s only a little stream in the middle, but it would be a different story if it was raining. The boulders must be up to six or seven tonnes scattered across the river. It is just mind blowing being lucky enough to get a glimpse of this vast landscape.
As we clambered down the track I saw in the distance pine trees blanketed over hectares of farmland, well what used to be farmland. We finished following the track, now we’re at the bridge it seems way longer from this side. I ask Dad ‘’why do they have all these bumps across the bridge’’
‘’I don’t know,’’ he replies.
‘’What are we doing next? ‘’ I ask.
‘’Going to pick up some bush cattle’’ Dad replies, he always talks a lot, but not to me.
‘’Oh no they will be mad ‘’ I say, I know why because they always run wild.

Bye bye spectacular gorge.

Fletcher




Our Mansion of Wood
I roared through the lush green field on my motorbike soon we arrived at our mini forest in the middle of the farm.
We tumbled down the jagged bank at the base of the forest, OUCH the stupid blackberry bush, how did I not see that, I tore the thornnow my poor hand is bright red I tore the thorn out, now my poor hand is bright red. I continue fighting my way through the terrible overgrowth. The  forest is not on my side I thought. I finally got through the what felt like I have just struggled through least 1kilometre of whirled and twisted  scrub, suddenly…..I hear a blood curdling scream.
 I looked straight up. A magnificent hawk was gliding through the crystal clear sky with a fluffy, brown, rabbit brawling for its life. Poor little rabbit I thought.
“Go get wood for the hut,” I yelled    
“Nah,” moaned Kirsten.
“Get lost then,” I said.
“Yeah,” echoed Zaid’s voice as he was collecting sticky pine bark and wood [branches].

The sound of trees rustling and birds chirping filled the forest air fantails fluttering around engulfing us, gathering bugs in their smooth beaks.

“We’ve got lots of wood!” yelled the three others.
“Let’s get building” I replied.
We started creating the wooden hut. I found a box of old rusty nails lying in a pile of pine needles. I got a piece of strong wood and started whacking the nail into the branches. As I turned to grab a nail I got a glimpse of a stoat jumping from tree to tree.
“What!” I yelled.
“What did you say?” replied Zaid.
“Nothing,” I said acting innocent.
I continued whacking the nail into the wood. “Yawch” I screamed I know it was a bad idea. We finally finished building our hut, we covered the ground with pine needles. 10 or so minutes later it collapsed. “Too bad,” we all said.

We roared back through the lush green paddocks and we returned home.

Thomas

“We’ve had a house fire” mum said sadly.
What! I thought, I felt my whole world shrink and then crumble away like dust in the wind. I didn't believe her.
Maddi

My Aunty’s sparkly pink nails were finished and mine were complete too, then an idea popped into my head.
I know we can get our toes done too and so we did.
Hoana – Rose

When the razor started, it sounded like a million bumble bees and it vibrated like a machine. I was terrified, and all the people looked worried. The tears ran down my Mum’s face like a mini waterfall, it felt like butterflies were flying around in my stomach. Tiffany was starting to shave, when she shaved near my fringe the whole thing just fell off; it felt like my heart was breaking.
Riley

My heart was pounding then it stopped.  We stopped there was complete silence you could hear people screaming on other rides and the sound of rides spinning. I’d never been this high before. I heard metal screeching I was really scared
Keelan

Suddenly we are going real fast, I feel like Superman flying through the air, I wonder if maybe that’s why they call it the Superman ride.
Jackson

Mum blows a kiss good-bye and I catch it into my heart. I want to turn back, but I know it’s all been paid for and I will have to go no matter what.
I take my last gasp of New Zealand air, then headed off for my first gasp of Australian air.
Faith

NO backing down. DON’T think just do. 3.2.1. I put my arms straight up in the air, my body was so tight, my butt was squeezed, my tummy was sucked in, my toes were pointed and my body was level with the beam.
I smile and present then I start to think I want to back down, I don’t know if I can do this!
Aliana

Sitting on the chair was a….. Puppy i felt gobsmacked. I ran to him and hugged him he squirmed like a jiggly jelly “Stop squirming” I said.

He was huge; his lips hung down like a necklace! Ewww he dribbles… Saliva!! His bronze coat shimmered in the sun, His brown eyes twinkled.
“Can’t wait till he gets older,” I said excitedly.  “I think I will call him Fizzy!”
Milan

When my bag was full I put it in the boat. I dived back under to get another kina, but from the corner of my eye I saw the biggest, ugliest stingray come up from the long green seaweed. It went straight underneath me I thought I was going to die; I tried to stay still as it swam around me. I felt the power of its wings up against my arms.
What a relief the stingray just ignored me and swam away.
Lucas

“It’s no use no one can hear us!” I shouted to my sister. “Why did we lock ourselves in this terrifying, small, stupid cupboard in the first place?”
“Because we thought it might be funny,” my sister replied.
Ashlyn

Even though she is very sad, my Mum tells me that my Nan is now in a better place and she is in no more pain. This makes me feel better knowing Nan is in a better place but, It also makes me sad because I want to have her here with us.
Elijah

The Stratosphere is a new ride at Rainbows end. As I walk nervously to the huge ride, my feet start shaking, the ride stares at me with dark red eyes. “I might regret this” I think to myself.
Brodan




No comments:

Post a Comment